If you still haven’t heard about TikTok, here’s all you need to know
March 5, 2020
TikTok is a social platform that has over 500 million monthly active users. This app is used to create and share short videos with different effects and music. It was first launched in 2016 by the name ‘Douyin’ only for the Chinese market.
After a year, this app started expanding in countries outside of China through a company called ByteDance. In the same year, ByteDance bought the ‘Musical.ly’ app and, as a result, had direct access to targeting kids and teenagers in the US and around the world.
Another special feature of TikTok is the option to take part in different challenges such as: #raindropchallenge, #posechallenge or #haribochallenge.
So how should you get started?
After downloading the app on your smartphone, the next step is to create your own personal account:
– On the homepage, click the icon at the bottom right of the page.
– There’s two ways to connect: by creating a new account or using a third party system such as Email, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
– If you choose to create a new account, then you have to select your birthday.
– You can sign up using your phone number or email address, as well.
– Finally, you have to choose a password.
How to create your first video:
– Click on the ‘+’ button.
– Start shooting.
– Hold the red button to continue shooting.
– If you need time to prepare for your video, you can select the option ‘Countdown’ on the right.
– You can also select the speed you want for your video.
– Select one of the many filters that will go with your video.
– There are a lot of different effects that you can use, as well.
– By clicking the ‘Pick a sound’ button, you can choose a song that will give a special spark to your video.
– You can also edit your video by cutting sound, adjusting volume etc…
Other interesting facts about TikTok:
– it is a free android and IoS application
– over 1 billion users
– 1.5 billion app downloads on the AppStore and Google Play
– 41% of users are aged 16 to 24 years
– 60% of users belong to generation Z
– 466.8 million downloads in India, 173.2 million downloads in China, 123.8 million downloads in the US
– users spend an average of 52 minutes per day
– TikTok is available in over 150 countries
– the number of adult users in the US has increased from 2.6 million in 2017 to 14.3 million in 2019
– more than 1 billion videos were watched daily in 2019
– many users on TikTok have millions of followers
– The hashtag #Kosovo has been viewed 254 million times
– #kosovogirl hashtag has been viewed 14.8 million times
– alone the hashtag #ukcomedy has over 5.7 billion views
– in 2018 alone, this app has been downloaded over 600 million times
Because of this amazing success, the biggest social platform, Facebook, for some time now has been thinking of a new strategy to take down TikTok. As a result, Facebook has launched a new similar app called Lasso which is almost identical to TikTok and has the same target audience.
In fact, a couple a months ago, some leaked audio recordings were released during a Facebook meeting where Mark Zuckerberg and other members specifically discussed the success of TikTok.